This Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs is an excellent dish and it’s somewhat everyone’s preference. This dish contains delicious meatballs in a simple savory and tasty tomato sauce served with spaghetti.
Meatballs are fabulous, they’re versatile, and they’re great in and on everything. You can bake, fry and slow cook them for this recipe.
Read on to know how to prepare this delicious classic spaghetti and meatballs.
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped basil, plus 1 large basil sprig
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- Two 28-ounce cans of whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti
How to Make Classic Spaghetti And Meatballs
- Soak the bread in the milk inside a bowl until the milk is absorbed. In another large bowl, lightly mix the ground meats with the soaked bread, Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1/2 tablespoon of the garlic, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon of the chopped basil, and the oregano.
- Shape the meat mixture into ball-sized meatballs and transfer it to a baking sheet. Wrap and freeze until it’s chilled for about 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes until smoothly chopped. In a saucepan, pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and cook over medium heat until it’s lightly golden for about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground red pepper, smoothly chopped tomatoes, and the basil. Let it simmer and cook over medium heat until the sauce is somewhat thickened for about 25 minutes. Throw away the basil and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, fry the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the meatballs in batches for about 3 minutes for each side. Put the meatballs inside the tomato sauce and simmer until it’s cooked through for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook over moderately high heat, scrubbing up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan for about 2 minutes. Pour the water into the tomato sauce.
- Put water in a large pot and add salt to it, cook the spaghetti until it’s firm. Sieve and return the pasta to the pot. Pour in 2 cups of the tomato sauce and stir until the pasta is well coated for about 1 minute.
- Transfer the pasta to large deep bowls. Spoon the meatballs and the remaining tomato sauce over the spaghetti.
- Serve the meatballs atop the spaghetti, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, and beautified with parsley or basil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 522kcal | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.3g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 1282mg | Carbohydrate: 61g | DietaryFiber: 5.7g | Protein: 38g | Iron: 5.5mg | Potassium: 1169mg | Vitamin B6: 0.9 mg
Kindly subscribe to our newsletter or follow our Facebook @Mumedibbles to get daily updates on our scrumptious recipe. Have any contribution to make? Use the comment section below. Thank You!