This Coconut Shrimp has an irresistible taste. It’s super succulent on the inside and very crispy on the outside. This recipe just needs some of your kitchen staples like flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, and egg
Coconut shrimp is a people pleaser. Who doesn’t like coated, fried shrimp? Particularly shrimp soaked in rich batter and mixed with shredded coconut and breadcrumbs. A crispy, succulent, and fried appetizer that is so easy to make and also incredibly delicious.
Make this Coconut shrimp for your friends and family, they will definitely come back for more.
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cooking Time: 15 mins
Number of Servings: 4
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 500 g jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup beer (you can substitute with mineral water, soda water, or sparkling water)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- Oil for frying
How To Make Coconut Shrimp
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it apart.
OPTIONAL STEP: To butterfly shrimp, insert a knife into the shrimp (about three-quarters of the way) at the head. Cut a split down the middle of the shrimp’s back to the tail. Use the tip of your finger to open the flesh of the shrimp lightly. Season with salt and pepper and set apart.
In a large bowl, add the flour. In another large bowl, mix the batter ingredients together until it’s well combined. The batter should look like a pancake batter. If too thick, add a little beer or mineral water, mixing between every addition.
In the third large bowl, mix the shredded coconut and bread crumbs together.
- Now, dip the shrimp in the flour and shake off the excess flour, dip in the batter and shake off the excess. Coat in the breadcrumb and coconut mix. Gently press the coconut mix on the shrimp.
- Place on the prepared baking tray and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Freeze the shrimp until it’s firm (about 30-45 minutes).
- In a skillet, heat vegetable oil until it’s hot.
- Fry the frozen shrimp in groups for about 2-3 minutes on both sides or until the shrimp is golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- If you don’t like frying. You can also bake the shrimps in a dutch oven.
- Serve warm with chili sauce.
- Frying frozen shrimps make the shrimp more firm. You can skip this step but you are at the risk of making the shrimps fall apart.
Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 11g | SaturatedFat:7g | Cholesterol: 326mg | Sodium: 767 | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 4.6mg | Calcium: 245mg | Iron: 5.3mg
Follow our Facebook @Mumedibbles or subscribe to our newsletter to get more recipes like this.
Use the comment section below if you have any contributions to make. Thank you!