I have always been a big fan of sweet potatoes especially when made in a cast iron skillet but when I relocated earlier this January, I had trouble finding a restaurant close by that offers spicy salmon with sweet potato Skillet. I was very much disappointed.
It wasn’t easy, so off course I have to try my hand at creating my very own spicy salmon with sweet potato Skillet Recipe.
I love this recipe and I assure you, this will be your favorite recipe you would love to make when you’re busy running errands all day. It doesn’t take time, in just 30 minutes you’re done. This Spicy Salmon With Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe is featured with perfectly seasoned and crispy salmon which is a great attaché for the sweet potato and milted kale. It’s healthy and delicious and will be definitely be the best lunch or dinner for you and your family! I hope you will love it as much as I do.
Before you continue, take a few steps to go through this Tips To Make The Best Pan-Seared Salmon. Now, once you are done reading that tips you’re ready to make this delicious meal.
PREP TIME: 10 MINS
COOK TIME: 25 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 35 MINS
YIELDS: 2 SERVES
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly grounded black pepper to taste
- 2 medium salmon fillets (Wild salmon preferably)
- 1 table spoon olive oil
For the sweet potato kale skillet
- 1 cup red chopped onions
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups trimmed and coarsely chopped kale leaves
- A pinch of red chili flakes
Steps To Make Your Spicy Salmon With Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe
- First remove the salmon fillets from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before you’re ready to cook.
- Using a paper towel, pat each fillet on the top and bottom to dry. This is an important step to prevent the fillets from sticking to the pan.
- In a small bowl, add paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix everything well to combine. Season the salmon fillets and set it aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and let the pan heat up for a couple minutes.
- Add the fillets skin-side down to the skillet. Cook for about 6-8 minutes (time will depend on the thickness of the salmon fillet). Do not move the fillet. Wait and leave it be.
- Flip the fillets and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Remove the salmon from the pan. Transfer the fillets to a paper towel-lined plate and set it aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then, add onions and cook until onions are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato and ¼ cup of water to help to cook it faster. Close the skillet with a lid and cook the sweet potato for 2 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, add kale, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Mix everything well until the kale wilted.
- Return the salmon to the pan.
Garnish with sesame seeds, depending on how you want it.
Enjoy and tell us how it turned out for you, Note: don’t add more that 1/4 cup of water to cook the sweet potato to avoid getting soggy.