Broccoli and cheddar casserole with leeks recipe is really versatile because it makes a complete dish in itself, or a great side fish, poultry or a Sunday roast.
This recipe is a delicious veggie dish for dinner. Easy to rustle up on a cold winter evening to cheer up kids when they come home tired and very hungry. Filled with flavor and its perfect for the whole family.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Serves: 8 to 10
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 lb broccoli and cut into small florets, stems peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch coins
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed saltine crackers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Steps To Make Broccoli And Cheddar Casserole With Leeks
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Set a steamer basket in a large, deep saucepan filled with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add all of the broccoli, cover and cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a paper towel–lined baking sheet to drain.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the leeks and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat until softened for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk over moderately high heat until bubbling and in a paste forms for about 2 minutes. Add the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbling for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheddar and cayenne. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce into a large 2-inch-deep baking dish. Arrange the drained broccoli on top of the cheese sauce in a single layer and drizzle the remaining cheese sauce on top. In a small bowl, mix the crackers with the almonds and melted butter and sprinkle over the broccoli. Bake the casserole for 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan to finish.