Prep Time: 15 min || Cook Time: 45 mins
Cooking Type: Instant Pot
This vegan mushroom tetrazzini is a yummy addition to your meatless Monday rotation. It’s also Whole food friendly so it’s as healthy as it is tasty.
Tetrazzini is most often made with cream of mushroom soup. I used this yummy recipe as the base with a couple of modifications and then freewheeled the rest:) The spaghetti squash and mushrooms make it hearty and the fresh thyme and parsley add to the depth of flavor.
This vegan mushroom tetrazzini recipe is topped with almond flour & nutritional yeast to make a delicate ‘crust’, adding a nice texture and a little bit of that cheesy taste. I would recommend buying mushrooms sliced to cut down on prep time. And the Instant Pot is clutch to cook the spaghetti squash in record time.
- 6 TBS vegan butter (check for compliance or clarified butter)
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 5 cups veggie broth
- 2 TBS fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 TBS arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- S&P to taste
Instructions To Make Vegan Mushroom Tetrazzini Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half height-wise (this way the strands are longer and more spaghetti-like once cooked).
- Place trivet into the bottom of Instant Pot and pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot.
- Arrange spaghetti squash on top of trivet, cut side down.
- Set Instant Pot to 7 minutes on high pressure, making sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once 7 minutes is up manual release pressure and let cool. Once cool, press as much water as possible out of cooked squash.
- Set in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- While squash cooks, in a large pot, heat 2 TBS vegan butter over medium heat.
- Stir in onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 2 more TBS vegan butter and turn heat up to medium-high. Stir and cook for about 5-7 minutes until mushrooms start to brown.
- Add thyme, a pinch of salt, and remaining 2 TBS of vegan butter.
- Add the arrowroot flour and stir to combine (this will act as a thickener) and then add broth slowly, stirring to fully incorporate.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce and let simmer for about ten minutes, until you see the soup start to thicken.
- While this cooks, in a small bowl, combine almond flour & nutritional yeast and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Once thickened, add coconut and almond milk and let incorporate an additional 2-3 minutes.
- To mixing bowl of spaghetti squash add parsley and mushroom soup. Stir until evenly coated. Note: depending on how big your spaghetti squash is; you may have to use only some of the mushroom soup you made or all. Add enough so that it’s nicely coated but it shouldn’t be soupy
- Transfer mixture to an oven-safe baking dish and top with flour & nutritional yeast mix.
- Cook 25-30 minutes until liquid is bubbling. To brown the top, turn on the broiler for last minute or two watching to make sure it doesn’t burn.